[OM] IMG: My eclipse projector (includes people)

Subject: [OM] IMG: My eclipse projector (includes people)
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 20:33:20 -0700
Here are several shots of the various partial phases of the eclipse, as seen through my home-made projector, made from a pair of cheap Chinese binoculars, a tripod, a music stand, and several pieces of cardboard.  Also seen are the photographer, his wife, and our fellow eclipse watchers in Prairie City, Oregon.  I got quite a bit of mileage out of my jerry-rigged device.  Several people came over and asked to take pictures of my setup, selfies with the projected solar images, and even of me.

Me, at first "bite."
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36628563481/in/photostream/>

The eclipse is well under way now. Person in photograph is not as deadly serious as he appears.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36628563351/in/photostream/>

The little park where we set up, with my fellow eclipse watchers, and my high-tech apparatus in the foreground.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36371044020/in/photostream/>

Katya, about 15 minutes before totality (the EXIF clock is about 5 minutes ahead of actual time).
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36628563181/in/photostream/>

Totality (wide view).  I posted it last night, but include it here again so you see things in sequence.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36750483415/in/dateposted-public/>

Here is a NASA multi-exposure digital composite photo of totality. It comes reasonably close to what I actually saw through my binoculars.
<https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170823.html>

And just for fun, here is a less-cropped version of the photo with me in a hat.  Katya inadvertently included an extra moon.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/P8210243ExtraMoon.jpg.html>
The owner of said extra moon was very knowledgeable. He is bending over his homemade projector, which was made from a steel garbage can and (I believe) a camera lens and a telescope eyepiece.  I saw sunspots through it.  He had all sorts of astronomical software and telescope control programs on his laptop. He also wore a badge identifying him as a Star Fleet Temporal Investigator.

Enjoy!
--Peter