[OM] IMG: Totality

Subject: [OM] IMG: Totality
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 00:46:12 -0700
As I mentioned earlier, I did not attempt to photograph the total solar eclipse seriously--I was more interested in seeing it than messing with a camera.  But I did devote a few seconds to taking a quick record shot with a pre-set camera. I used a 28mm-equivalent lens, which was needed to show both the eclipsed sun and the earth below.  For the best view, set your browser to full screen, then click on the photo to enlarge.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/36750483415/in/dateposted-public/>

This picture will give you some idea of the context, how the sky and surroundings looked relative to each other, as I saw it.  As it's a wide angle shot, the eclipsed sun is much smaller than it appeared to the naked eye.  What you can't see is the incredible, intricate detail of totality: red solar prominences, the inner corona, the faint, ghostly outer corona with three brighter lines streaming off into space for several solar diameters, and the moon faintly illuminated by earthshine, its features just barely visible.  Not to mention the planet Venus and the brighter stars clearly visible.

Each of these things would require a separate exposure, as the total dynamic range of the various features is greater than a camera can record simultaneously.  The typical eclipse photos that show a black moon with a thin corona are misleading.  The only photos that show anything like what I saw are digital composites of multiple exposures.  And even they often miss one feature or another.  Google "solar eclipse composite" and you'll see what I mean.

I took this shot shortly after the beginning of totality.  Then I did a quick 360 degree turn to look at sunset-like colors around the horizon (you can see a little of that in the photo).  I glanced quickly at the stars when my wife exclaimed that she could see them. Then I watched the eclipsed sun through a pair of 7x35 binoculars.

None of the above conveys the emotions of what I saw. I've never seen anything like it before.  As to what I felt, it was like the first time I heard Mahler's Second Symphony.

--Peter