Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US

Subject: Re: [OM] Upcoming total solar eclipse in US
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 14:07:12 -0700
> From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> sad that you don't grasp the meaning of what was written !

What I thought you were saying was that 90% was good enough.

To me, that sounded like taking a photo of the 90% of a touchdown pass that
didn’t include the football. Sorry if I made it snarkier than called for. :-)

Did I miss something?

Went out and took photos of 89% of totality with a Celestron C-90 with a
welding filter taped to the front. What was more interesting here was the bokeh
in the shadows, reminded me of the LensBaby I have that accepts different
cut-outs for the aperture for different effects. Shadows seemed sharper than
normal, and yet somehow fuzzier, at the same time. Smaller light source equals
higher contrast shadows.

My wife went to Newport, Oregon without me. Forecast was for clouds. Traffic on
Sunday was very light. Newport was empty, because all the eclipse-peepers had
cancelled, due to the forecast, and the eclipse-peepers had filled all the
reservations, locking out the usual tourist traffic. Innkeepers and tourist
shops were pissed.

I suspect a lot of people had made multiple reservations, waiting until the day
before to cancel all but one. Glad my step-son didn’t live in Madras, Oregon.
:-)

The weatherman was wrong. It was a beautiful, clear day. Her son is on a
cul-de-sac, and they all had a block party, with breakfast burritos, home-baked
banana bread, and mimosas. One of his neighbours had a lens she described as
“about 3’ long, and about 8” across.” A “Bigma,” perhaps? Anyway, the $96-worth
of solar film I had sent ahead was not wasted, being applied to the Bigma and a
number of binocs.

Thinking ahead to visiting my family in SE Michigan on April 8, 2024. Should I
last so long.