Re: [OM] IMG: Gen. Hap Arnold

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Gen. Hap Arnold
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 07:30:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Yep, and I'm old enough to remember the "Steve Canyon" TV show of the late
1950's.  As I recall, he flew an F-106.

     Which reminds me: One of our local broadcast channels recently became the
local affiliate for the scifi network COMET, and one of the shows they
broadcast is "Men Into Space", of which there were just 38 episodes.  I never
saw them all back then as we moved to France halfway through the series, so I'm
getting to see some episodes for the first time.

>General Hap Arnold, along with Dr. Theodore von Karman and a few others,
>were responsible for the creation of Arnold Engineering Development
>Center, to get the United States capable of performing state of the art
>aeronautical and engine research.  A few years ago I received an award
>plaque that contained a caricature of Gen. Arnold by noted cartoonist
>Milton Caniff.  I have always thought of it as a beautiful example of
>his work.  Perhaps a few of you are old enough to recall his "Terry and
>the Pirates" and "Steve Canyon" comic strips.
>
>http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Hap+Arnold-1.JPG.html

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson