Re: [OM] Weather on the coast

Subject: Re: [OM] Weather on the coast
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 21:02:35 -0700
On 8/5/2017 6:50 AM, ChrisB wrote:
Just catching up . . .

Those are interesting effects, Moose, almost mirages.

I quite like many of the effects of shooting long distances right through all the air movements at the surface. I believe mirages are a similar thing, indeed.

It looks like a beautiful place.

Perhaps that's why much of is is a National Seashore. :-)

It's a beautiful, sometimes magical place. Spring and fall, between winter storms and on the right days in the summer fog cycle, the ocean side is wonderful. You can get an idea from the galleries here. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Point_Reyes>

In addition to the Elephant Seals and Coyotes shown there, there are Tule Elk up at the North end. Many birds, and Carol spotted a muskrat in Abbott's Lagoon some years ago. I have a half decent film pic of that, but not on the web at the moment - at least that I can find. The colors in a Jackrabbit's fur are amazing. Quail with babies . . .

Once I saw something odd ahead up a trail, and motioned to my companion behind to stop. I didn't move at all, so no pix. It was a weasel, carrying a dead gopher back home for dinner. Dinner was at least as big as the weasel, apparently heavier. There are hawks there, so the weasel was taking a risk, running down an open trail. Both sides there are dense low growth, laced with small critter trails, but I suspect it couldn't carry the big gopher sideways through them without great difficulty.

It would run toward us, and the odd movement I'd seen was the gopher flopping up and down on each side as it ran. Then it would drop dinner, stand up full height, looking for danger, then pick it up and go on a ways. It wasn't more than a couple of feet from my feet when it finally noticed the monster, and shot off, with dinner, into the underbrush. I'd rather have that memory than a distant photo, if I could have caught one.

I also once met a snake with a bright red head, that took a very aggressive stance toward me. Research revealed it to be the endangered SF Garter Snake.

As I said, sometimes magic. C'mon out sometime. There's more magic hereabouts
than that, too. :-)

By “pre-sick” do you mean before Carole had her fall (I think it was a fall)?

No, before we both got some horrible upper respiratory congestion, cough, sore
throat, etc.

Travel Agent Moose