Re: [OM] IMG: Salzburg cathedral

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Salzburg cathedral
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 19:44:38 -0700
Thanks, Moose. Yes, the Catholic cathedrals of Europe are very ornate. That was quite deliberate. The art served to tell the faith's principal stories to the faithful, many of whom were illiterate until the mid-late 19th century. They also served to awe the viewers, and show them the order of the world and their place in it (very low!). And that your local ruler was rich and powerful and not to be messed with. Of course, they inspired great art and music.

That said, I must say that I found the churches in Austria much more light-filled and inviting than many churches in other countries. Maybe it's because they used a lot of white in the walls, or have a lot of windows in the right places.

Here's some more info about the Pickle sculpture, including the artist's statement (eyeroll).
<http://salzburgfoundation.at/en/salzburg-art-project/erwin-wurm-2011/>

No kosher pickles. Between the burning of Jews c. 1350 (for "causing" the Black Plague), the expulsion of 1492 and that little misunderstanding of the 1930s and 40s, there are only about 100 Jewish people left in Salzburg.
<http://forward.com/scribe/346381/the-last-jews-of-salzburg/>

--Peter