[OM] IMG: Vienna's Judenplatz

Subject: [OM] IMG: Vienna's Judenplatz
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:07:04 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Enjoying your nice images.   The  memorial struck me as grossly  insincere and
reminded me of  the Austrian gov't continued obstruction in returning art
looted by the Nazi's to their rightful heirs.  Some things have not changed as
much as one might think.

http://tinyurl.com/y8n33h27

http://tinyurl.com/y92gujqp

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/23/nazi-looted-painting-auctioned-im-kinsky-bartholomeus-van-der-helst

I ran into this information brushing up on Emile Zuckerkandl in case medical
students asked me about the origins of the tubercle of Zukerkandl  (which they
did) while reviewing thyroid anatomy with them.
Curiously he was wont to have avant-garde guests at his house including Rodin
and Gustav Klimpt.  The latter artist painted the portrait featured in the
Woman in Gold . The Zukerkandl family later had to flee Austria to escape the
Nazis. Curiously the grandson of the anatomist (another Emile Zuckerkandl,
ended up working with Linus Pauling and is well known for the "molecular
clock.".
I may need to stay away from errant links these days to avoid  being upset.

Mike