[OM] Now hold on a darn minute, here! [was IMGS: Color vs B&W]

Subject: [OM] Now hold on a darn minute, here! [was IMGS: Color vs B&W]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:36:52 -0700
On 6/27/2017 7:01 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

Still scanning old Fuji RMS slides.  I thought I would prefer the B&W, but
in this case, I prefer the color:

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/165735387

http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/165735388

You??

This is an inaccurately labeled choice. Have you chosen the "Janis Joplin Backstage at the Fillmore" Tri-X pushed three stops filter? This is not a B&W conversion, but a re-interpretation. Artistically valid, 'though I don't much like it, but to my mind, mislabeled.

A straight B&W conversion is wildly different, and a much fairer comparison to the color. <cid:part1.81A5F88C.C207FE53@gmail.com>

2. I see grain as an artifact of the imperfection of our image capture systems. I find it a distraction, not an attractive addition, to this kind of portrait. I also de-nuked the red dress.

3. A simple B&W conversion, remove color, don't change contrast, add grain, etc.

4. Although I like the tonalities in the color version, I find them a bit dark in
B&W, so I lightened the middle.

5. Sans grain

To my eye, a much harder choice.

Justice Moose