[OM] OT: Another Reason for NOT Upgrading

Subject: [OM] OT: Another Reason for NOT Upgrading
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 07:10:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Every so oftenI encounter a glaring example of why upgrading can be a very
bad idea.  With hurricane season here I look at NHC webpages for informative
graphics and I also look at NOAA surface analysis fax charts, which are in TIFF
format.  For as long as I've been doing so I have used the AlteraTIFF reader,
which is very easy to use.  Or was.

     Seems that with the release of Firefox 52, extensions such as AlternaTIFF
are no longer supported, and you are instead forced to use some form of Google
graphics viewer.  No, I will not.  I do not want Google anything in my
machines, except for Google Earth which I have on one of the WinXP machines.

     Fortunately, I kept the Firefox 51.0.1 installer, so I rolled this Win7
machine back, then disabled any and all automatic update settings.  Then I
installed the AlternaTIFF viewer and went back to reviewing hurricane data in
the manner that I am used to.

      Life is good once again.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson