Re: [OM] Butterflying

Subject: Re: [OM] Butterflying
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 20:49:22 -0700
On 6/7/2017 8:04 PM, Dean Hansen wrote:
      On 6 June I did my usual butterfly jaunt to the oak/jackpine barrens
in NW Wisconsin.  Results are posted at: <
https://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/sightings>.  Scroll down through
the other 6 June sightings.

Nice to see some unfamiliar 'faces'.

   The four posted photos are crops of shots
taken with the Sony NEX-7, 55-210/4.6-6.3 lens

I know next to nothing about NEX bodies and Sony lenses, but a quick look seems
to indicate this one is not top tier.

, and Vello 10mm auto extension tube.

Not all contemporary zooms do well with extension. A couple of my M.Zuikos did, the Panny 14-140 was poor at close focus at the long end - flutterby territory. With an old Oly achromatic C-U lens, it was quite good.

No sharpening, no other adjustments in post, just crops.
No flash was used.

I'd think that would speed up your photography and make quick reaction better?

      OM content:  I find it much easier focusing on butterflies with the OM
4T with the 1-11 or 1-12 focusing screens.  I'm not in love yet with the
NEX-7.

Eschew MF for fluttery objects. Put the spot focus point (assuming it has one) or small one on various parts of the subject and try a few shots. What with always inadequate DoF, you'll probably do as well or better than a careful MF shot. If lucky, and all/most of the subject hasn't moved, focus bracketing may do even better.

Yet.  Dipping the toe in the mirrorless pond is going slowly.

Good luck! I'm fully immersed.

Breathing Underwater Moose