[OM] OT: Computer Annoyance

Subject: [OM] OT: Computer Annoyance
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 17:03:30 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Both of the Win7 laptops that I've built up have an annoying problem known
as "jumping cursor syndrome", where the cursor jumps from here to there for no
reason at all, and it's not just me.  Seems to be a chronic problem with
numerous Win7/8/9/10 users.  There are sll sorts of remedies suggested, none of
which have worked for me.  So, I downloaded the Synaptics touchpad driver and
started the process of uninstalling the one that came with Win7 and installing
the downloaded one.

     When I uninstalled the Synaptics driver, I found that the touchpad still
worked, and then it dawned on me that perhaps the resident Dell touchpad driver
was still functioning, suggesting that the two drivers were interfering with
each other.

     I did not reinstall the Synaptics driver, and while I have been typing
this email the cursor has not jumped once, whereas it would have done so at
least once, perhaps three times.

     This was also a problem with WinXP, and the solution to that was to
install Logitech Mouseware, which solved the problem.  There is no version of
Mouseware available for Win7, but it does not matter as the problem seems to
have been the conflicting touchpad drivers.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson