Re: [OM] OT: Now What??

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Now What??
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 13:48:59 +0100
Ah, there’s another snag, DavidT: the simulators that I mentioned (we have two)
were installed in 2004 and some display components are failing, components for
which spares are no longer available.  Last week some young and keen contract
officers (on our side) found clauses in the contract which stated that the
contractor would maintain 95% availability of spares for the life of the
equipment (15 years).  This came as a shock to the contractor’s chief engineer,
as well it might.

I don’t know about more savvy types on the List, but it would seem unreasonable
for the contractor, a very well regarded designer and supplier of such kit, to
be held to that sort of contract term – given the speed of obsolescence of the
stuff that we are talking about.  And having XP running the system is a minor
problem in comparison . . .

Chris