Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/4/2017: a truly uplifting experience

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 23/4/2017: a truly uplifting experience
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:01:51 -0500
Wonderful portraits, Nathan.

Working here at the University of Chicago, I'm surrounded by a community
built from people of all races, colors, creeds, and orientations. It's most
definitely a climate of acceptance, and the administration continually puts
out communications saying the same thing. At the hospital where I used to
work, the head radiologist was Syrian and still has family there. I never
considered him a terrorist. I've got friends who are native-born Russian,
and I don't lump them in the same category as their leadership, like I
would hope that an outsider looking at me would realize that not all
Americans are 45's kind of 'Murcans. Tolerance and compassion towards your
fellow humans is a good thing, not an evil reserved for snowflakes.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Yesterday was my last day in Copenhagen, and I spent part of it visiting a
> wonderful event in the magnificent city hall of Copenhagen. It is part
> exhibition, part event, about people who came to Denmark as refugees during
> the past 50 years. A fuller description is here:
> http://www.kit.dk/2016/index-ENGLISH.html. This afternoon we went to see
> the exhibition and to meet some of the people depicted who were there to
> tell their stories.
>
> A lady from Iraq. She told us that things are worse today than under
> Saddam. It was a dictarship then and it is a dictatorship now, but it is
> worse now because of the Islamic fundamenalist elements:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-6L2b6D3/A
>
> A wonderful man from Somaliland, in Denmark since 1973. I cannot remember
> meeting a person as positive as this guy, ever:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-8cgWQwW/A
>
> A Vietnamese boat refugee, rescued by a a Danish merchant ship in 1975:
> http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-6C9xTFk/A
>
> Given that I too am not am not a native-born Dane, having come to this
> wonderful place as a political refugee at the age of 11, this event really
> resonated with me.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>

> Nathan Wajsman