Re: [OM] Wifi and life

Subject: Re: [OM] Wifi and life
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 13:03:31 -0700
On 4/8/2017 9:12 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Who know what variations in the testing occurred. For example, a
temperature difference of one or two degrees could have affected it.
Why do I mention this? Because 2.4 GHz will warm up water. The seeds
weren't irradiated, but were cooked.

This was a great scientific experiment - for kids. We don't know from the news stories whether they controlled for such things. Power delivered to a volume drops with the cube of distance, doesn't it? So even modest distance from routers, which are themselves low power, would eliminate that problem.

Certainly, not all the conclusions the kids may have reached are likely supported by the experiment. But we only know what the news folks thought was exciting/scary. Many people, one particular neighbor springs to mind, will draw completely unwarranted conclusions.

For example, low power, high freq. EMR doesn't go through water worth a darn. Conclusions about the effects on larger mammals can't be supported by this experiment.

Magical thinking is little problem among actual scientists, and amazingly common among those who believe in Scientism, including the vast majority of those who self identify as scientists.

When AT&T was trying to put a micro antenna here, I was amazed at the ideas people had. They believe that the further away the tower, the less radiation they are exposed to. True, if they don't use cell phones. If they do, the further from an antenna their phone is, the greater the power it uses to communicate - right next to their head.

They don't make any sort of logical connection between the competitive need for long battery life and strategies to achieve it. Arthur Clarke's Third Law applies: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Pointy Hat Moose