Re: [OM] A couple more [was Friday Flowers]

Subject: Re: [OM] A couple more [was Friday Flowers]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 22:29:34 -0700
On 3/31/2017 11:24 PM, ChrisB wrote:
Very nice, Moose.

Thanks!

It’s interesting that red is no longer such a problem.

Well, it's not been an insurmountable problem for me for many years. But it still requires attention and action when taking the shot. And I believe that will likely remain true for a long time. It's been around for a looong time, too, with the narrow DR and unforgiving cutoff of Kodachrome and other reversal films. It's certainly not new to digital, although details are different.

Browsing through the endless shots I took Friday, I see some small red flowers caught in the sun, against a dark background. That fools even the sophisticated ESP metering of the E-M5 II. Spot metering isn't any use, either, as the flowers themselves are slender. As I'm composing @ 600 mm eq., getting the spot in just the right place isn't easy; things bounce around without IS and tend to jump in discrete steps with IS on.

The first exposure, at my sunlight default of -0.7 EV, is hopelessly blown, second, @ -1.3 might be usable, in a pinch, but maybe not. The choice will be between -3.7 and -4.7 EV shots.

Yup, -4.7 EV is the winner. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21761>

That doesn't mean I am underexposing the flowers, but that I avoid overexposing them to cater to AE's efforts to avoid making the background dark. But a dark background is exactly what I saw, and wanted to capture.

Pay that sort of attention, and red is easy to handle. The over and under
exposure indications in the EVF are a great help.

Red Moose