Re: [OM] OT: Absorption Refrigeration

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Absorption Refrigeration
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 11:45:18 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
> On 3/17/2017 5:13 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>
>> The Einstein Cycle has NO MOVING parts, and requires only ammonia, water,
>> and a bit of H2, to run forever, with no moving parts!
>
> I'm interested in why you would be interested in a design that has never gone
> commercial for more than a tiny,
> specialized use. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator>…
>
> The somewhat different absorption design used commercially by Dometic…

My bad. I was lumping the Einstein design together with all absorption-type
designs.

>> I?ve got two of these refrigerators cluttering up the place that my spouse
>> would like to see removed. They nominally run on kerosene, but I keep
>> thinking I?m going to convert them to run on WOOD CHIPS, by gawd.
>
> May I assume these aren't actually Einstein-Szil?rd designs, but cousins of
> my Dometic?

I don’t know. They were made by Servel, and were popular in cabins and other
places not serviced by electricity — back in the days when PV panels were made
out of unobtainium. The brand is apparently still sold by Dometic, but I don’t
know precisely what absorption variation they used 45 years ago.