[OM] OT] digital v analog clocks

Subject: [OM] OT] digital v analog clocks
From: brian gray via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 12:02:14 +0000
Cc: brian gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Chris Crawford said
<As a former teacher, I can answer that. Kids today do not wearwristwatches. They carry cellphones, and cellphones have a built in clock. A digital clock, not a clock with hands. Anyone who is even barely literate can read the numbers on a digital clock.>

Not always. You also need decent eyesight. For many purposes, I prefer digital but I think it takes a shorter glance to read an analogue clock face in decent light. In particular, in a bedroom at night, I need more light to read a digital LCD watch than an analogue display without putting my glasses on. LED displays are less of a problem for me.

Kids may not know how to read an analogue display but they probably know how to get much more information off the internet than I do and do not need to know that RAM cost 40UKP per MB only 25 years ago with all the consequences needed for coding efficiency.

Brian Gray