[OM] IMGs: Wildflower Hike

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Wildflower Hike
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 09:57:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson     On Monday I went out to the northeast of Phoenix
to look for wildflowers as we are at the beginning of a decent season.  The
first spot I visited showed little promise, but I will visit it again in a
couple of weeks.  A second spot seemed to be too sparse for now.  So, I went to
Usery Mountain, a regional park that has never been disappointing.

     When I got to the semiformal parking area and entrance I first saw a large
Wishbone Plant in full bloom, which I took to be an open invitation to "Come on
up and see me sometime":

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32643548453/in/dateposted-public/

     You travel slowly through areas like this, looking to either side as well
as around your feet.  One such find was a Desert Zinnia:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32643546663/in/dateposted-public/

which was a lucky find as it was the only one I encountered.  All around there
was the sound of bees, one of which was gloriously burying himself in a Fairy
Duster:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32643546103/in/dateposted-public/

     Even in a short distance there were numerous species in every direction,
such as Desert Marigold:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32643547733/in/dateposted-public/

and Silver Puffs, which gets its name by virtue of the large round seed cluster
that later forms:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417190736/in/dateposted-public/

     And then there's the far-off scenery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32643544513/in/dateposted-public/

     Golden Eye abounds in large shrubs beneath the Palo Verde trees:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457699655/in/dateposted-public/

and Desert Chickory pokes its blooms through all sort of vegetation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32614665004/in/dateposted-public/

as do Tidy Tips:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32614667384/in/dateposted-public/

     Most mustard species form long, slender seedpods, but Bladderpod Mustard
is an exception, forming spherical seedpod along the stem as it progressively
blooms for weeks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457703595/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32614665784/in/dateposted-public/

and we mustn't forget the scenery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457705295/in/dateposted-public/

     An unusual flower to be found out here is Chia:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457807925/in/dateposted-public/

whose flowers bloom from as many as four clusters along the stem:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33329992581/in/dateposted-public/

Each point on the cluster will produce a single flower:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457805655/in/dateposted-public/

When the plant later dries out each cluster will contain hundres of tiny seeds.

     Then there's Whitestem Blazingstar:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33329991681/in/dateposted-public/

and Woolly Daisy:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457809215/in/dateposted-public/

     Did I mention scenery?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33457918515/in/dateposted-public/

     Two plants that are easily confused are False (or Wild) Heliotrope:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33302343232/in/dateposted-public/

and Scorpionweed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33330105531/in/dateposted-public/

the significant difference being the colour of the anthers (stamen tips).

     Coming around to the northeast side of the mountain, the light, shade, and
moisture regime changes and different plats, such as Camissonia can be found:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417638896/in/dateposted-public/

as well as Desert Anemone:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417637456/in/dateposted-public/

     Desert Hyacinth, a Lily family plant closely related to onion, is seen
almost everywhere, but it is readily seen in this area:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417636636/in/dateposted-public/

as is Broad-Leaf Gilia:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417632056/in/dateposted-public/

     In dark areas beneath boulders there ar actually some ferns to be found:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33330184821/in/dateposted-public/

and everywhere that you look you cannot help but find California Poppies:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417640176/in/dateposted-public/

     Johnson's Pepperweed is an interesting edible plant, as as the name
suggests it has a sharp peppery flavour:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33417641086/in/dateposted-public/

     This lonely Saguaro with the Goldfield Mountains in the background reminds
me to make a token mention of the scenery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32644102363/in/dateposted-public/

     And last, but not least, is the amazing discovery of a solitary Mexican
Poinsettia concealed between two large rocks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/32644103973/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/33075071320/in/dateposted-public/

     That's it for this trip, with more trips yet to come.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson