Re: [OM] Me 109

Subject: Re: [OM] Me 109
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 21:34:01 +0000
Thanks, Brian.

I read most of the Bf109 piece.  I’ve no doubt that he’s a wonderful (and
experienced) pilot, but the report this week into the crash in 2015 at
Shoreham, in the UK, reminded me of how little civilian display pilots have to
do for their display authorisation (DA).  The chap who crashed the Hunter at
Shoreham (and survived) had not been given a DA on that aircraft but for a
display on a RV8.  I found out about 10 years ago that a DA is given for a
display but that the pilot does not then have to perform that display once
given a DA.

In the Volker piece, he is asked to perform a display in the Messershmitt with
a week’s notice, it seems. In the military world a display can take place at
low level only after quite a bit of preparation and many practices at height
(5,000ft) before a series of practices at low level – airshow heights.  I’m not
impressed.

Chris