Re: [OM] Potpourri of images

Subject: Re: [OM] Potpourri of images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 20:51:36 -0800
On 2/27/2017 10:21 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks
Moose ... the car is not mine / ours. Those things cost somewhere north
of $210,000 here (totally out of my league) - they'll do 200 mph as
well. . . .

I wasn't talking about that.

The
Ragged Red Range Rover towing the boat is a 2.5 L (BMW) 6-cyl diesel,
now 21 yo, and has done more than 300.000 km. Still runs smoothly
though, i still like it even if Maggie doesn't. Quite possibly it will
see me out.

Yes, that's the one. I recall troubles in the past with it, so included its current apparent health as one of your blessings.

The boat and motor are, believe it or not, both about 46
yo. wouldn't swap it for any other boat I know of. It's number 6 out of
the mould.

The newly rebuilt house scares me somewhat. Maggie would
like to put all new stuff in it; I remember the 95% of my old stuff that
is gone forever, and wish to hold on to what's remaining :-( Interesting
times - (not).

There is not a space you can be in charge of furnishing/decorating? You deserve
one.

Youngest grand-daughter ?

Indeed, the one we saw newborn pics of recently. (That's old guy recently, not
growing child recently.) ;-)

They will be visiting NZ from
London fairly soon and unfortunately the timing coincides with our
moving into the house, My son has offered to pay for us to travel (fly)
north to visit them in Nelson but Maggie declines to travel long
distances by car (it's a 2-day drive) and now refuses to fly (I'm not
keen on flying now, either). She is also a bit doddery especially in the
afternoons and I'm not keen on leaving her alone for too long.

Bummer.

Puts a bit of a brake on photography now.

More bummer.

So I'm unsure if/how our paths will
cross. I really need to think this through soon. She says I should visit
alone but I think that's not a good look.

Surely, there must be someone who cold stay with her for a couple of days. Even
if they have to be paid. Do it!

It's somewhat interesting times when one is of an age that the end of one's
mortality is a real
factor to be taken into account.

Goodness, I'm only about five years behind you, and in excellent health.
Everything works fine.

I do feel for you with Maggie. I was my mother's primary care taker for the last few years of her life, one or two visits a day for what seemed like forever, and watching the physical deterioration near the end was sad. Fortunately, she was in good spirits most of the time. But I did the same thing I just recommended, found someone else to cover when I went on vacation, etc. You can't take good care of another unless you take care of yourself, too.

It's easy to start feeling old and fragile when spending a lot of time with someone who is so. There was a fascinating study a while ago, where elderly people were put in an environment of culture from when they were young, Not just their psychological ages seemed to go backward, but their physical condition as well.

Spending some time with young adults and mini-people could do wonders for you.

Good Luck!
  Moose