Re: [OM] OT: Comodo Firewall

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Comodo Firewall
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:59:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Comodo has proven to be one of the worst software experiences that I can
recall.  It pretty much brought all usage to a crawl, and would not let me
uninstall it readily.  I had to go into SAFE MODE, then launch WinPatrol
manually.  That let me remove it from the startup queue.  The I restarted and
removed it.  Total time to remove it was close to two hours.

     This has been a terrible experience, and all that I wanted was a simple
piece of software that would:

1.   Detect incoming and outgoing internet connections.

2.   Detect the volume of those connections.

3.   Provide a means for blocking both incoming and outgoing connections.

     In short, a bidirectional firewall, similar to Little Snitch.  You would
think that such a thing would be readily available and easily implemented, but
the current mentality of programmers is that all users have infinite speed,
infinite hard drive capacity, and infinite patience.

     I'm going to take a serious look at Outpost Firewall as it advertises
having the functions I'm interested in.

>     After a lot of time, I finally have the Comodo Firewall installed in
>laptop #2.  I had some trouble installing it in laptop #1, but it was not
>the fault of the software, just operator error.  I uninstalled it from there
>for the time being.
>
>     Looking at the list of TCP connections, I'm seeing something that's a
>bit alarming.  When I open a new page, the service host (SVCHOST) opens a
>connection to 1e100.net, which is a Google-owned domain name used to identify
>the servers in their network.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson