[OM] Phase One catches up with The Moose

Subject: [OM] Phase One catches up with The Moose
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 20:41:22 -0500
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Trailblazer Moose writes:

<<Seems Phase One has caught up:

<<"The Lens Correction tool in Capture One Pro 10 has been improved and now
also includes Lens Diffraction Compensation.

Good catch!!   Not clear what they are doing but would suspect blind R-L
deconvolution as it is listed as counteracting other lens aberrations with a
quick look-see.  Diffraction blur does not "leak" anywhere near as much info
into the image as other
sources of blur especially Gaussian.

original  image:

http://praetoriusphoto.images.s3.amazonaws.com/fmforums/20120322_deconvolution/sinsweep.jpeg

added diffraction:
http://praetoriusphoto.images.s3.amazonaws.com/fmforums/20120322_deconvolution/diffracted_sweep.jpg

note how detail frequencies above the cutoff are almost completely
wiped out.

Gassian blur added:

http://praetoriusphoto.images.s3.amazonaws.com/fmforums/20120322_deconvolution/gaussian_sweep.jpg

note gradual reduction of high freq info,  rather than cut-off.

Nonetheless as indicated in a long previous thread, R-L deconvolution is still
valuable for diffraction softened images as increases contrast for data that is
there.

Canyon in DLO is said to mathematically  cancel the diffraction effects as best
possible.   Too bad DPP is rather a pain to use, IMO.  Canyon has   the full
wave solutions for each lens though and has the full PSF to use in
deconvolution as well. . Waay too much work for 3rd party I would think.  I bet
 Phase One  employs something similar to DXO Optics Pro.

Perhaps a good trail for Fuji users but   not sure want to blaze it with you,
Mike