Re: [OM] IMG: Fire Ants Magnified

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fire Ants Magnified
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:19:08 -0600
NO THANKS ! :-(

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 1/19/2017 2:04 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Everything about them (mound shape, behavior) screams Fire Ants except they don't look like Fire Ants (also known as Red Harvester Ants) because they
are not red.

Agreed Charlie. They are probably a "fire ant" which is a common name for several species of ants in the genus /Solenopsis/. This includes _the_ fire ant imported from SA. The ones in Jim's yard don't look like the imported ones. At least from the images I can come up with, e.g. < https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/94/Fire_ants_01.jpg/330px-Fire_ants_01.jpg>

But they aren't around here and I have no personal experience. Plenty of ants around here that appear similar to Jim's photos and which are harmless. I'm only only armed with enough info from duckduckgo to be dangerous. Maybe they have hybridized, maybe they come in different color variations. I suggest that Jim go out and stick his arm in the mound to find out if he just gets bit or if he gets stung.