[OM] IMG: Fire Ants Magnified

Subject: [OM] IMG: Fire Ants Magnified
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 15:13:59 -0600
Philippe suggested that I try the Leica-R 60 Macro at "capturing" my ant infestation, so I gave it a try. While watching carefully for ants around my feet, I got the lens within about 8 inches of the mound, close enough that the grains of pulverized earth are clearly visible. It is characteristic of these ants that they vary in size, as these two show. They are smaller than I expected, and extremely active when disturbed. They blend in with the mound in color, so one must look very closely to spot their activity. This is a 100% crop from the X-E1.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Fire+Ants+81.JPG.html

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA