[OM] OT. The power of search engines, Google and goodness knows what els

Subject: [OM] OT. The power of search engines, Google and goodness knows what else.
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 05:48:37 +1300

The power of search engines, Google and goodness knows what else.

Three weeks ago we hosted my wife's daughter, and her son and
daughter, for a couple of weeks.

I have never mentioned their names on
facebook, never contacted them through facebook, and have contacted
my
wife's daughter only via her e-mail and cell-phone. I have never
contacted her children electronically, nor they me.

To my utter
surprise, 2 days ago facebook suggested her son as a facebook friend for
me. I have checked since then
and he has never mentioned my name in his
short history on facebook.

Clearly, facebook and some other entities
have electronic algorithms operating which have incredible, and in my
opinion,
dangerous powers. So far I have not managed to figure out how
they came to link his and my names. This bothers me somewhat.

Cheers,
Brian