Re: [OM] My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] My Struggle to Learn to Use Lightroom
From: Nicholas Travers <stawastawa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 10:52:27 -0800
Regarding image/catalogue migration...

If you move your images around or upgrade and need to find your images,
lightroom makes it rather simple.
Let us say you moved your catalogue to a new harddrive and need to find
your images.  Go to *folders* panel on the left, right click the folder you
you need to find and select *find missing folder...* the browse to the
folders new location and select it.  The reverse is true too, you can move
your images to someother place and the go tell lightroom where they are *but
lightroom reccomends you move the folders from inside lightroom *then you
dont have to tell Lightroom where the folders went because it already
knows.
The trick to moving assets and how much time it takes..., as mentioned
before, is about having a non-complicated file structure.  If you use the
date scheme lightroom suggests, you can select each year and all the
subfolders come in (in a way this is like when you first import into
lightroom).  I have all my image files stored under a single folder:
*Photographs* so when I move / upgrade / backup, I just need to deal with
that one folder and all the subfolders do what they need to do.

Moose,

Nice to hear you enjoyed the photographs at my website, thank you.

Glad to hear your replies.  I have made a note to check out FastStone at
some point (though key-wording is a big part of my workflow so might not be
the one for me).  I guess you are surviving the LR maps for the moment, and
I hope you get a better faster maps resource soon =).  If I were in your
neck of the woods, I would consider doing some interning.

Out of curiosity, did you use Bridge as a DAM for a while?  and where did
that fall between LR and FastStone?  I didn't like Bridge but didn't use it
very much.

-- Nicholas Travers
    shoot film <https://lifeofstawa.wordpress.com/portfolio/>
    read books