Re: [OM] Sunday Birds

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunday Birds
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 09:33:21 -0500
My favorite birds too, Moose.

The crows are our resident flock (murder?) and have been coming to our deck
for 30+ years.
Years ago, I used to call out to their (parent/grandparents?), "Hey you
guys!", as I threw out table scraps
And they would come swooping in between the trees. What beautiful flyers
for such big birds.

We also have an elusive red-shouldered hawk that occasionally drops in...
just to see what's cookin'?

No Ravens that I've seen here along the Chesapeake Bay, although they seem
to be plentiful in the hill country of Western Maryland.

My favorite memory of Ravens:

Years (and years) ago, camping in Medicine Bow National Forest (WY) we had
a raven that would
sit on a branch at our site and 'perform' for treats.

He/she would squawk, then rotate (somersault) around the branch without
removing feet from the branch.
 Someplace, I have Pen F slides of that... wish I'd had a movie.

Keep 'em flyin', Rick

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/8/2017 6:56 PM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
>
>> We have pretty little birds at our feeder, too!
>>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=21447
>>
>> (One of the four brothers who inspired my kids book.)
>>
>> E-1 w/50/1.4 OMZ, another "through the window" shot.
>>

> We have crows, and ravens, in the area, but never that I recall at our
> feeders. Band Tailed Pigeons are about the same size, and will come in
> groups that all try to get on the feeders at once - clown show.
>
> Crows and Ravens interest me. So similar in size, appearance and habits,
> apparently filling the same eco niche, and both separately doing well. As
> it was getting toward sunset on the ridge above us, large groups of each
> started roosting for the night. Crows in a couple of trees on one side of
> the trail, Ravens on the lower struts of a HV tower on the other. Close,
> but separate.
>
> Thanks for looking.
>
> Black Bird Moose
>
> --
> --

As much as I hate to "crow", I'm delighted to tell you that my 5-star
reviewed hardcover book for kids, ages 4-to-8,
*The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW
<http://www.amazon.com/Little-Crow-Who-Could-Not-ebook/dp/B01B2028SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455042958&sr=8-1&keywords=rick+beckrich>,*
is
finally available as an interactive Kindle e-book from Amazon.com.

    (P.S. - The Kindle reader is a free app from Amazon that works on PC,
laptops, and most hand-held devices.)