Re: [OM] OT: Shanghai to London Freight Train

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Shanghai to London Freight Train
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 10:53:57 -0600
If there was any ADVANTAGE to our global climate change situation,
it's that by opening up the arctic to shipping, we eliminate or reduce
the potential for a geo-political crisis affecting global shipping.

For example, the Suez and Panama canals are choke points. The Suez was
closed before, there is no reason why it won't close again.

Another factor, which can't be underestimated is a potential global
shift to localized or distributed manufacturing which will reduce the
growth curve of shipping demand between the east and the west.

A third factor at play is DP World. This company is easily the most
powerful entity in global commerce there is. If it makes sense for
them to build a terminal in the arctic, they will in a heartbeat. But
I see DP World acquiring land/air assets that will make then an
entirely one-stop shop which will allow them to provide complete
intermodal solutions on a global scale that links strategic ports
together by sea, air and land. Instead of direct A-Z routes, there
would be A-B, B-X, X-Z routes. The middle piece of the puzzle only
changes based on capacity and speed requirements in relation to
geology as well as geo-political conditions.

AG