[OM] OT: Protecting my email from spammers

Subject: [OM] OT: Protecting my email from spammers
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:00:20 -0800
Given all the spam I've been getting on my old personal address, I want to protect my new personal address from bots and Web crawlers. My new Web host does offer spam filtering, which I've enabled. Here are a couple of question for those of you who are pros or talented amateurs at this sort of thing. Feel free to tell me I'm being overly paranoid or overdoing it if I am.

1. To what lengths do the crawlers and bots go to find addresses to spam? Do they only look for clear text? Are they fooled by constructions such as "nospam at getlost dot org" or "nospam [at] getlost [dot] org" or similar? Do ordinary people who are not computer experts know how to deal with such addresses?

2. What if, instead of a mailto link, I put a link to one of these two pictures on my Web site:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/spohrborg.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/spohrborgDiag.jpg.html>
Are the bad guys using OCR technology to pull addresses out of pictures? If so, might the second of the two pictures be more likely to fool them? And again, would they be less likely to be understood by ordinary people?

3. I set up an "out of office" autoreply on my old address describing the situation, but not telling recipients the new address, because that (I assume) would also inform all the spammers. I've emailed my new address to people I know. Sometimes that isn't enough. Suppose I were to put a link to one of the above pictures in the autoreply? Or linked to my initial page on the gallery, with text instructions to go to the temp folder, go to page 3 and open the last picture? Would that expose me to further danger? Or are the bots not programmed to deal with things like that?

Thanks for any help!

--Peter