Re: [OM] Shutter to think about the E-M1 Mk11?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter to think about the E-M1 Mk11?
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:25:07 +1100
Agree completely !

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
[mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
] On Behalf Of Ken Norton
Sent: Tuesday, 15 November 2016 3:59 AM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My take has been that if it gets to half life-size on film/sensor, it's
macro. More magnification than this falls within the entire macro definition
until, maybe 10X, then it really enters the world of micro.
Except for Dean, I don't think any of us are really equipped to go beyond 4X
with any expectation of success. I pick out Dean, because, he
single-handedly has cornered the entire world supply of Olympus macro gear.
If the global center of gravity was based on the number of Olympus macro
lenses, extension tubes and flash gear, there would be this giant crunching
sound as the entire world collapses to this black hole in eastern Minnesota.

With crop-sensor cameras, we can be tempted to fudge the macro definition a
little bit from the 1:1 standard that was forced upon us in the film world.
1:1 "35mm equivalency" means 1:2 in 4/3. However, I am EXTREMELY
uncomfortable with this because it breaks the standard definition of image
magnification that is uniform and applicable from process cameras all the
way down to endoscopes. We can't cheat this.

If you want to say that we can use 1:2 magnification to get the same Angle
of View as on 35mm film, then that's fine. But to say that 1:2 is the same
as 1:1 just because the format is different is wrong. 1:1 is 1:1 regardless
of sensor or film size. It means that a bug that is 5mm long will be
projected onto the sensor or film exactly 5mm in length.

One reason why I am very picky about this is because it is more than just
magnification. It's DoF, it's working distance, it's lighting, it's a bunch
of things. Just playing the equivalency game is fine if you want bragging
rights or if you are interested in the Angle of View in the resulting image,
but it is not fine if you are interested in the other things. One thing that
has to be FIRM and CANNOT be gamed, is the definition of what 1:1 means.
This isn't an emotional thing, it's a scientific thing. There is more than
aesthetics involved.

AG (life size) Schnozz