Re: [OM] New kit ;) on the block

Subject: Re: [OM] New kit ;) on the block
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 12:11:09 -0700
On 9/25/2016 3:40 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
It is on Alibaba, a piece of cheap Chinese junk. I doubt any serious
publication will review it.

Rush to judgement?

DPR has done a minireview
<https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/yi-m1-mirrorless-ilc-first-impressions-review>

No, it doesn't quite measure up in AF, but appears to be a physically well made serious effort by a serious company already doing competitive video cameras.

What the don't tell you at Dharma's link is the format. It is µ4/3, supposed to be compatible with all µ4/3 lenses and tested to do so with several. Can't hurt to have another camera/lens maker for the format.

About the size of an E-PL5/6. No, I don't want one, I'm old fashioned enough to like lots of physical interface and need reliable AF. But this was a prototype, and I don't see any reviews of a production model yet. AF may be OK, may be fixable in a firmware update or the next model may be a real addition to the format.

Nuanced Opinion Moose