Re: [OM] Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2016

Subject: Re: [OM] Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2016
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 23:34:33 +0200
<<
Joking about blown highlights aside (the real problem was the blocked
shadows), that was a very imaginative presentation of total eclipse
photography, of which I have seen plenty, and experienced a little. I can
imagine that "normal" astrophotography (I have to imagine, I have never
tried) does take patience, but eclipse photography is something else
entirely. Until you experience it, you would not believe how quickly you
have to act, and how soon it's all over. And how easy it is to miss the
event completely ... because you are too involved in the photography.

I was thinking about deep space astrophotography, off course you're
right about a solar eclipse, but in that case you also need experience
in your equipment (equatorial mount + camera + lens). I was lucky to
have seen the 1999 eclipse in Romania (about 2 min totality).

Ralf