Re: [OM] IMG: Wales

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Wales
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 10:20:53 -0400
I'm not sure I understood your question but it appears that you see the image of Virgin and Child in the cathedral as somehow an Eastern Orthodox creation. I don't see it that way at all... what I see is a Virgin and Child created in the style common to pre-Renaissance art. I don't know when Brecon Cathedral was finished but construction started in 1093 a couple of hundred years before the Renaissance. A pre-Rennaisance style image should be expected.

If you search Google for images of "Virgin and Child" or "Madonna and Child" you'll have to scan a lot of images but you will eventually see images that look like the style seen in the Brecon Cathedral. If you check the dates of these works you'll see they either pre-date or occur early on in the 14th century.

Chuck Norcutt