Re: [OM] Up In The Air [was Doom-laden . . .]

Subject: Re: [OM] Up In The Air [was Doom-laden . . .]
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:14:29 -0500
Actually there are quite a few two seat P-51's out there. After the end of WW II, tons of things were sold for pennies on the dollar by the government, many of those being great airplanes. Many were picked up by businesses for commercial use (spraying, aerial mapping), but there was a company that purchased a bunch of nearly new or even just off the production line P-51's for less than $1000 each and converted them to two seat versions. The second position wasn't as posh or complete as the original, but it was something more than a jump seat. This was not a big commercial success, the after the war flying boom that had been predicted didn't materialize, but there are most of those still in the air.

Think of gthe bargains we missed out on. And think of how many great airplanes were turned into beer cans.

-----Original Message----- From: Ken Norton