Re: [OM] Railroad photo exhibit - some taken with OMs

Subject: Re: [OM] Railroad photo exhibit - some taken with OMs
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 15:39:35 -0400
Tell him to get (or at least try) a mirrorless camera before he commits to another DSLR. It used to be that only Olympus had in-body image stabilization (IBIS) which works for those old Zuikos. But now the Sony Alpha 7 II and 7R II both have IBIS (caution, not true for all Sony Alpha 7 models). If you want a full frame camera with IBIS those are the choices.

I know I shouldn't compare my Canon 5D with the new 5D Mark IV but, IMHO, there is no comparison in live view performance between something like the OM-D E-M1 and that 5D. I assume the Sonys would perform about the same. With the mirrorless cameras (either new AF lens or old OM MF) you see the exposure change in the viewfinder as you adjust the camera. While there is certainly a sophisticated meter and a histogram available I think I could shoot my E-M1 fairly accurately just using the viewfinder for both focus and exposure. That camera is definitely WYSIWYG. In fact, it can be a little startling to adjust the camera in a very dark scene and have it show up on the viewfinder much brighter than reality.

I'm guessing that most of his railroad photography is fairly slow and deliberate. A perfect opportunity to use just the old OMs for most work and avoid (for the most part) expensive native lenses.

Chuck Norcutt