[OM] DMC-L1 New Workflow

Subject: [OM] DMC-L1 New Workflow
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:18:41 -0500
Well, my Panasonic DMC-L1 continues to go the distance. I've been busy
uploading stock images and went back and revisited some pictures from
five years ago. Adobe turns L1 files into mincemeat during raw
conversion, so I've pretty much skipped uploading any of those images
for a while now. But I had reason to revisit some and get them
reprocessed.

Current workflow is to now use Silkypix Developer Studio 4.4 with the
setting of "Super Neutral". Output is to highest quality TIFF files.
Then I import those TIFF files into Lightroom and do my magic there.
With the exception of some problem images that need extra TLC, the
"Super Neutral" preset is just what the doctor ordered.

In Lightroom, I can jack the living snot out of the sharpness settings
and the TIFFs stand up to it a whole lot better than ACR converted L1
files.

It's a neat little reminder of just how good this particular camera
is. When you can nail the RAW conversion right, this camera produces
some of the nicest files of any camera I've seen.

I was going to sell it, but I'm having second thoughts. I've got a
fleet of digital cameras now that all have unique strengths. The L1
isn't clean at higher ISOs, of course, as the 6D, but I think it takes
far better pictures at "normal" ISOs than the 6D.

I really should get a couple of better quality E-system lenses again.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx