Re: [OM] IMGS: Urban Adventures

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Urban Adventures
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 10:57:01 -0400
I wondered the same thing, John.  They did not speak Turkish or English so
talking to them was difficult.  Our guides seemed to think that the
refugees knew that would get more help from tourists than from local
Turkish people.  The Turkish people are about fed up with the flood
refugees needing help.  We gave them a little money but our guide from
Urban Adventures wrote down the address of a shelter where they could spend
the night.  Many of the Syrian refugees are former middle-class
professional people.  In this case, Ali was an engineer and his wife Salva
was a teacher in Aleppo.  The refugees that we met all carried their Syrian
passports to show that they were actually from Syria and not refugees from
some other Middle-Eastern country whose flight was for financial reasons.
There is no home for them to return to.

Thanks,

Tina

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 10:46 AM, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am curious as to why the refugee family from Aleppo, Syria would have
> their 'Please Help Us' placard written in English, and very well written
> stylistically come to that, instead of in Turkish and Arabic.
>
> Their mood appears to have been captured very nicely. I sense that they
> are professionals or skilled workers.
>
> jh
>

> On 8/12/2016 11:31 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> PESO:
>>
>> While we were in Istanbul, we connected with a group called Urban
>> Adventures which arranges meals with local families.  They knew I was
>> interested in Syrian refugees, so they arranged a dinner with a refugee
>> family.  Serayi, her husband and their 3 children live in a one bedroom
>> apartment downtown.  The husband works as a chef and was not there.
>> Serayi
>> was very friendly and welcoming and fixed us a delicious meal.  The
>> youngest son, Brahim, is having the hardest time adjusting to their new
>> home and has not learned to speak Turkish yet.  The couple from Urban
>> Adventures took us to a hookah bar after dinner.  Then I photographed the
>> Blue Mosque at night.  Photos are here:
>>
>> http://tinamanley.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Turkey/
>> G0000gyr5D5oapVk/I0000BpXszh3vEgk
>>
>> and forward.  The light was terrible and I hate the T lens on the SL, but
>> think the atmosphere comes through in these.
>>
>> C&C greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Tina
>>
>> --

Tina Manley