Re: [OM] Android bug

Subject: Re: [OM] Android bug
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:34:49 -0500
The funny/sad thing is that these types of bugs/features are a normal,
almost daily occurrence. My phone has already gotten two push updates
in the past two weeks. This isn't much of a concern as long as you use
popular phone models/brands and your carrier is a major carrier. Avoid
"no name phones" from "Sam's house of discount pre-pay plans". Those
phones are ripe for problems.

But a side note on those "burner" phones. They are the least secure
because they generally never get push updates. Got a demonstration, a
week ago, on the hackability of a burner phone. I personally will
never look at a burner phone again.

Which brings up a good question about how long you should keep a
cellphone. My Note 3 will be three years old this winter and I wince
at the cost of buying a new Note 7. But the problem is that the older
phones become less "secure" over time as hacking opportunities are
discovered and they are no longer supported. Just as Eye-Fi is having
to kill the old X2 cards, there comes a point where the phones need
killing too. I have a couple of old Android phones that I use for
non-phone purposes, but I don't let them carouse around at night. The
biggest issue for them is that they are no longer supported by any
carrier (being old phones with the phone numbers deactivated) so they
don't get the push updates. For my primary phone, in which I conduct
so much of my business, it makes sense to stay current.

AG