Re: [OM] Aircraft ID

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft ID
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:05:32 -0500
I wouldn't know why it wouldn't be a 500. The CFM56-engined A340s are
mostly parked or repurposed as freighters. There are still a few
operators of them, but the 777 has slaughtered them.

The VIP versions of the A340s are almost all CFM56, I believe. My
understanding is that the VIPs and military transport models are
almost all earlier 200 and 300 models.

Since 2009, the A340 fleet has been largely decimated and reconfigured
or changed operators. I think that Emirates and Etihad changed over
from A340s to A380s and 777s as their primary two-tier models. That
would have put their off-lease 500s on the market.  A 500 or 600 would
be pretty good for the long non-stop global reach application with no
ETOPS restrictions.

AG (not CFM56-equipped) Schnozz