Re: [OM] Sedge butterflies

Subject: Re: [OM] Sedge butterflies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 12:39:18 -0400
Yes, you can focus at f/16. I just tried it outdoors in bright sun and various places in the subdued light in the house. Then I pointed it down the dark hallway going out to the garage. In the dark hallway I could see objects at f/16 but not well enough to focus until I opened to f/8 although f/5.6 made focusing easier. Note that the camera was set at ISO 200 and I didn't attempt to change that.

To give you an idea of the brightness ranges involved I fitted the m.Zuiko 12-50 so I'd have 50mm available to go with the Zuiko 50/1.4 I used for the MF lens.

The outdoors shot was 1/320 at f/8 with -0.7 exp. comp. The indoors subdued light shot was 2" at f/5.6 with -0.7 exp. comp. The shot down the dark hallway was 8" at f/6.3 with no exp. comp. f/6.3 is wide open at 50mm on the m.Zuiko 12-50. The camera had great difficulty focusing on the edge of a throw rug near the exit door. It took it several seconds to lock in and easily lost it. At f/6.3 on the 50/1.4 I think I could have beaten the camera and could have gotten an easier and faster shot by opening to f/1.4. Keep those old, fast Zuikos. They are still quite usable on an OM-D body.

Chuck Norcutt