Re: [OM] Pie

Subject: Re: [OM] Pie
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 12:23:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Ah, so you made a French crust, where to place pieces of butter on one
half, fold it over, roll it flat, place more pieces of butter, fold it over,
etc.  That's how you make flaky pie crust.

     The is one place here in Tempe that sells proper croissants, made in the
same manner.  They get the unbaked pastry from a place in Phoenix who prepares
them properly and delivers them chilled early in the morning.  Then the shop
bakes them and adds whatever glazes they prefer.  It's the only place I'll go
to for croissants.  I lived for years with the REAL thing and won't accept
anything less.

     Of course, if you were to add fruit fillings and glazes in Paris they
would promptly tie you to a log and throw you in the Seine.

>I made a gooseberry pie this morning. Tried a recipe recommended to
>me, but did a slight modification--can't leave anything alone.
>
>But, what was a significant change for me was that I made my crust out
>of an entirely different recipe, totally unlike anything I was ever
>taught. This is among the flakiest crusts I've ever seen. Simply
>amazing.
>
>Of course, it contains so much butter that it's a heart-attack-in-the-round.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson