Re: [OM] Banded Hairstreak

Subject: Re: [OM] Banded Hairstreak
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 13:19:30 -0700
Probably the only outing this year specifically looking for Hairstreaks.   I
think it may be too dry.   Last year at same place we saw 7 species and scores
of them  Only saw 3 and  able to photograph one.   This one was patient and
good thing as it took a few shots to hit the focus at least reasonably OK with
some proper fill flash.

Well, Adobe updated PSCC to 2015.5, with a new Selection Space and tools to make selection of complex stuff. I assume they are combating the specialty selection tool plug-ins offered by others. It appears from the demos, the the goal of all is to separate the hair on attractive women from backgrounds.

So this seemed like a perfect test image, far trickier than the demo images. And guess what? The new tools aren't not bad, but not really up to this challenge. I had to do a fair bit of fine tuning.

Anyway, I also tried digidarkroom fill light. It has the advantage of not brightening the background and adjustable subject lighting after the fact, and, oh yes, less gear to carry and fuss with. :-) <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Banded_Hairstreak.htm>

(I cropped it not as artistic decision, but so I could show what I did more
easily.)

Still Chasin' 'em, Mike

How 'ya gonna chase 'em up on the Alp?

Sub Alpine Moose