Re: [OM] Aircraft Sighting in the News

Subject: Re: [OM] Aircraft Sighting in the News
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 12:52:30 +0100
" software problem "
Judging by what I read of the proven reliability of its FADEC prior to release
into service*, I think you are a master of understatement, Chris!

How about this Boscombe Down memo from June 1994, referring to the Chinook HC2
FADEC: "Notwithstanding the claims made in Textron's white paper, the problem
remains that the product has been shown to be unverifiable and is therefore
unsuitable for its purpose" as quoted in the 2002 House of Commons Select
Committee report into the loss of Chinook ZD576 later in 1994
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld/ldchin.htm

There is a whole host of stuff "out there" regarding ZD576 (Mull of Kintyre
crash), but the Select Committee report will do for now. The RAF BoI found
"pilot error" to be the cause. Yeah, right!

Piers

* I probably need to emphasise that I mean that entirely literally -  as far as
I have read, the aircraft was released into service *without any proof at all*
of the reliability of its FADEC