Re: [OM] OT summer driving in the US

Subject: Re: [OM] OT summer driving in the US
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 23:17:50 +0930
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 07:54:51AM -0500, Bob Benson wrote:
> Other than seeing a lot of the US -- sunrises and sunsets were particularly
> special -- the only really interesting event was getting through the
> blockades CA and OR had on I-5.  This was the year of the Mediterranean
> fruit fly or perhaps some other pests;  the officers asked us whether we
> had fruit in the car -- yes -- where did you get it -- hmm,  OR, or maybe
> WA, or maybe AK .. no, we got it in ID, and MO .. but oh,  I remember
> getting the apples in ND ... ahh, you get the picture.

I have very vivid memories from when I was about five (1970-ish) of our
car being stopped at the fruit fly checkpoint at the small South
Australian town of Yamba late at night (on our way back from a harness
racing meeting at Mildura on the Murray river). I clearly remember Mum
surrendering a couple of oranges and the checkpoint team throwing
bananas into a 44-gallon drum incinerator...

Memories evoked by the quote: "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies
like a banana." or vice versa :)

davidt