[OM] Hens Teeth - KORGs

Subject: [OM] Hens Teeth - KORGs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 09:05:08 -0500
Sorry, no close-up stacked-image picture of the teeth of a hen. Just
an off-topic non-rantoid.

I'm reminded of the days when Japanese manufacturers tend to ship what
they shipped last year because that's what they sold last year, so
that's what the market demand is. Never mind the fact that the item
has an 18 month stack of backorders.

Today's adventure centers around the KORG RK-100S, which is a Keytar.
(cross between a keyboard and a guitar. Kinda like the modern
equivalent of an accordion. For my daughter's graduation, our gift to
her is one of these. The problem is that they are nearly impossible to
get. This thing has been on the market, in North American, for not
much more than a year. Hardly anybody has one. So, they aren't that
popular.

Well...

Maybe there is a reason why hardly anybody has one? Could it be that
there is not enough of them to satisfy demand? Case in point, of the
next shipment into the USA, Guitar Center is getting only 20 of them.
And that doesn't even include the red ones! So, the largest musical
instrument dealer in the country (goes by two names, they both share
the same inventory) is getting less than two dozen and those have long
been spoken for. It is believed that the entire shipment coming in
this month is sold out. The next shipment isn't even scheduled yet.

Fortunately, we are on the list for the next shipment of black ones
(the one she wanted), and provided the container doesn't fall into the
ocean, we should have it in the next three weeks or so.

On a positive note, the original KORG RK-100, which came out 30 years
ago and is just a MIDI controller, is still in high demand yet today
on the used market. If history repeats itself (and I have no doubt
that it will, since it is extremely well designed for the task), the
new one will remain popular and a modern classic too. Especially,
since the demand is far greater than the supply, so rarity will help
influence that a bit.

Daughters - the reason I gladly give up having the latest/greatest cameras.

AG Schnozz