Re: [OM] Bird brains are better at creating quantum entangled electron p

Subject: Re: [OM] Bird brains are better at creating quantum entangled electron pairs than we are and use them to navigate!
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 12:39:58 +0100
On 10 June 2016 at 01:05, Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

>  Well not for sure, but looking likely that this is the case.  Very
> curious paper published today shedding light on how birds  and some
> insects  navigate using magnetic fields.
>

> The use of magnetic fields in navigation by animals has been known for
> decades but the mode of signal transduction has remained a  deep mystery.
> About 1978  Klaus Schulten is a German American computational biophysicist
> proposed that quantum entanglement of a radical-pair system could underlie
> a biochemical compass-- an editor is Science thought a less bold scientist
> would have "designed this piece of work for the waste basket."
> The paper was indeed NOT published in Science.
>
>  It looks increasingly likely that this may indeed underlie how the signal
> from the  avian  cryptochromes are produced.
> So in brief light can create entangled  electron pairs  within the
> crypotchrome though radical pairs can also be generated by the
> light-independent dark reoxidation of the flavin cofactor by molecular
> oxygen through the formation of a spin-correlated FADH-superoxide radical
> pairs.
> The ambient magnetic field interacts differentially with the entangled
> electron pairs depending on their spin which in turn affects  the lifetime
> of the activated cryptochrome--and then influences the visual signals. Thus
> the bird actually "sees" the magnetic fields.
> This seemed very bizarre at least in part as entangled electron pairs can
> be created the  lab but the T1/2 of them is exquisitely short except near
> absolute zero. The paper today  suggests these effects within the protein
> environment are indeed  quite long enough to influence photochemical
> reactions.
>

> http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/18/6/063007?fromSearchPage=true
>
> Oh, here is something easier to read:
>
> http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/action/pia-entanglement.cfm
>

> So the bird outside you window may be navigating using "spooky action
> through a distance."   You can't make this stuff up.
>
> Wish I had this ability to navigate the one-way cow paths of Boston, Mike
>

> --

Jim Al-Khalili covered this, or something very likely in a recent BBC
documentary series on quantum mechanics.  Here he is doing a TED talk on
the subject:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jim_al_khalili_how_quantum_biology_might_explain_life_s_biggest_questions?language=en

Nobody understands quantum mechanics.  Richard Feynman said that, and he's
way cleverer than me.

ian

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer