Re: [OM] Slightly OT: Rare Aircraft In Movies

Subject: Re: [OM] Slightly OT: Rare Aircraft In Movies
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 06:40:47 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     These Martian survival movies are generally pretty good.  A similar one is
"Countdown", an early Robert Duvall flick where the US tries to beat the USSR
to the moon by sending a modified Mercury capsule on a one-way trip to the
moon, where a survival shelter good for one year is waiting.  It's based on the
1964 novel "The Pilgrim Project" by Hank Searls.

>  Now that takes me back, Chris. I saw "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" in its
>original theatrical release when I was about 10 years old. It was
>impressive to my young self.
>
>Charlie
>
>On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>
>>      On weekends here one of the broadcast movie channels will show
>> entertaining movies from as far back as the 1930s, a series known as
>> "Popcorn Movies".  Today they started with "Robinson Crusoe on Mars", which
>> is always worth watching.  But then they followed it with an obscure one,
>> "Robinson Crusoe of Mystery Island", which was released in 1936.  I almost
>> didn't watch this until I saw footage of the airship USS Macon (ZRS-5)
>> being towed out of the hangar at Moffett Field:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Macon_%28ZRS-5%29
>>
>>      Minutes later there is in-flight and landing film footage of a
>> Sikorsky S-42 Flying Boat:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-42
>>
>> and shortly afterwards there is footage of a twin-engined flying boat that
>> I cannot readily identify.  It has the lines of a Grumman design, and it
>> has three vertical stabilisers.
>>
>>      The movie itself is a bit corny, but seeing these and possibly other
>> aircraft makes it worth watching.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson