[OM] OT: Laptop Olympics

Subject: [OM] OT: Laptop Olympics
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 20:26:42 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     One of the pieces of software I use that will not work properly with Win7
is Topo! 4.2.0, which is a really nice piece of navigation, etc. software that
makes use of USGS topographic maps.  A few months ago it started acting up on
the older laptop, and two weeks ago it came to a complete stop.  It was
shutting down shortly after launch due to a conflict with the Visual C++
Runtime Library.  Repairing the library worked for a while, but only for one
use at a time.  This week even that wouldn't help.  Things got desperate

     I tried all avenues of repairing it, but to no avail.  I uninstalled it
through the control panel, then reinstalled it, but nothing improved.  So I
installed it on the new laptop and it worked fine, but it struck me odd that it
took far longer to install.  I went back to the old laptop and discovered that
the folder for it was intact.  It was then obvious that all that took place
when I uninstalled it was the removal of the icon on the desktop.  So I
manually deleted the folder and went one step further, removing all entries in
the registry.  Then I reinstalled it, and it is now working fine.

     So, what was learned here is that uninstalling software does not mean that
it is fully uninstalled, maybe not uninstalled to any level.  In this case the
intact (and probably defective) files were not replaced with new ones, and
therefore any problems with the earlier files remained uncorrected.

     Next time I go the uninstall and reinstall any software, I'm going to make
certain that it is indeed uninstalled.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson