[OM] m.4/3 extension tubes, was: Re: C-U Lenses [was Color... At last!]

Subject: [OM] m.4/3 extension tubes, was: Re: C-U Lenses [was Color... At last!]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 09:56:38 -0400
I have a set of these with metal mounts
<http://www.dxomark.com/lenses/brand-canon-olympus/mounted_on-Canon_EOS_5D-176/mount_type-Canon_EF/sensor_brand-Canon#hideAdvancedOptions=false&viewMode=list&yDataType=global>
as opposed to these which are all plastic
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meike-Auto-Focus-Automatic-Macro-Extension-Tube-10-16mm-Olympus-Micro-4-3-Camera-/271844929948?hash=item3f4b38719c:g:KbYAAOSwNSxVNc2T>

They're the same part number except the metal mount has an "A" suffix and the plastic mount has a "B" suffix.

Take all of this with a grain of salt since I don't use the 75-300 very much (little field experience) and have never used the extension tubes other than trying them out in the house with a few different lenses.

Anyhow, I mounted the 75-300 onto both tubes together (10mm + 16mm) and tried using the lens in the house at both 75 and 300. The tubes give a very slight rotary motion which allows the assembly to rotate perhaps 1/2mm on the mount circumference but that's all. There doesn't seem to be any looseness that would produce a gap between lens mount and camera. I think the mount flanges are some sort of hard aluminum (certainly not stainless steel) but they seem reasonably sturdy.

My only other comment is that they'd be horribly difficult to use in the field. At a distance of about 6 feet or so with the lens at 300 mm and both tubes mounted the total range of focus was about 2-3". At first I thought there was something amiss about the tubes using autofocus until I thought a bit about what I was actually trying to do and realized how restrictive the focusing range would be. It took a lot of trial and error to find the focusing range. A flutterby shooter I am not. :-)

Chuck Norcutt