Re: [OM] findmesar

Subject: Re: [OM] findmesar
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:31:33 -0500
I don't see Verizon in the list.  Does this mean they have no exceptions?

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 4/17/2016 11:22 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Anyone using a smartfone should install this app developed by a friend.

http://findmesar.com/

In the US at least wireless providers are required to supply phase I coordinates when you call 911 (or local equiv). Phase I coordinates are those of the tower handling the call. This will be a huge circle and not much use to SAR people. Within 30sec they are required to provide Phase II coordinates which give a location within a defined radius with a % probability.

Each carrier can decide which method they will use to provide Phase II location data. There are 3 to pick from.
1.  Network based (cell tower triangulation and its kin)
2. Handset (GPS chip in the phone. If the GPS is off the carrier can turn it on.)
3.  Combo of 1 and 2

Carriers that *do* provide Phase II location data based on the GPS chip in the phone are required to meet the following standards:

1. For 80% of calls the Phase II coordinates must have an accuracy value of 150 meters or less.
and
2. 1. For 67% of calls the Phase II coordinates must have an accuracy value of 50 meters or less.

_the fine print:_ carriers that choose to use the network based location method are allowed to exempt large areas from the Phase II location requirements. They simply have to state that they lack sufficient tower density to do triangulation. So they have exempted themselves from providing this data in large parts of the US.

See if it includes you. Our entire county is exempted.
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HbBgD2KKx_umIOEYZx0UgBMu3Vg0t7nztBTI5jpJJuM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0>

It seems to me that it would make sense to require the carriers to provide the data even if doesn't meet the 150m requirement, e.g. "here" within xxxm. Anything to narrow the search radius.

Joey's new app will supply the coordinates useful for an accurate location using the phone gps along with a map of the area for self-rescue if possible. Of course the caller would have to provide the coords to 911 voice or text.